Wednesday, May 28, 2014

May 28, 2014
I was talking to my husband last night, and in the course of our conversation, I realized I have not done a good job communicating all the things I am learning/have learned about cancer--and specifically, this type of cancer, to everyone.  So, I'm going to take a minute to further explain things as I understand them.  I hope I am understanding it all correctly, and hoping that it may clear up any misconceptions that exist.  

First, these days cancer research and treatment is a very specialized field.  There is not a "one-size-fits-all" kind of cancer, nor is there a "one-size-fits-all" treatment.  Looking just at breast cancer . . . there are several different kinds of breast cancer.  There are also many different treatment options.  In diagnosis and treatment, they look at EXACTLY what type they are dealing with, and then determine which of the treatment options is likely to be the most effective.

In my case, I had the mammogram first, which showed a mass that looked "suspicious."  That means it had several of the things they look for in a cancerous mass.  The ultrasound also showed those same suspicious traits.  So, they did a biopsy.  They took a needle and took "cookie cutter" samples of the mass out to send it off for testing.  The biopsy showed that it was cancerous, and that it was the type called "infiltrating ductal adenacarcinoma of the breast."  It showed some other specifics, too.  Even within that specific type of cancer, though, there can be big differences from one to the next.  After the surgery, they tested the mass to learn even more specifically what type I had and what treatments were the most likely to be effective.  The specific type of chemo I am receiving is the type that has been shown to be most effective against the specific type of cancer that I have.  As I said, it's very specialized.

Secondly, let's talk about staging.  I always thought it was a very easily definable thing.  My husband and I were flipping through a book in the oncologist's office that showed staging information.  I always thought it was the size of a mass that determined staging, or perhaps how far it had spread, etc.  That's true . . . sort of.  It's more like a mixture of all of the above.  So, my "Stage 3" just means it had made it into the lymph nodes, and the mass was a certain size when they finally got it out of there.  The Dr. pointed out that the size of the cancerous cells within the lymph nodes was still quite small.  While it is true that Stage 3 is bad news, it doesn't necessarily mean it is spread throughout my whole body, and I'm a goner.  For this type of cancer, anything less than Stage 4 is treatable.  (I don't know if Stage 4 = terminal across the board for all types of cancer. My mom says she thinks some kinds go up to Stage 5 . . . we aren't sure about this!)

Think of those infernal dandelions in your lawn.  You start with one plant, which then goes to seed.  The wind blows the seeds who knows where, and the next year, all of a sudden, you have a lot more dandelions to contend with.  Cancer is like that.  The original cancer is gone now, to our knowledge.  They took the mass.  They took the lymph nodes nearest the site.  Some had cancer, some didn't, which means it's probably gone.  BUT, like those infernal dandelion seeds, cancer sprouts seeds that spread all over.  At this point, the CT scan showed that none of those seeds have begun sprouting in other areas of my body.  That's SUPER GREAT news!  If we did no other treatment other than surgery, I would most likely not die this year, or next, or even the next . . . because the mass is gone.  But, because of those silly seeds that COULD sprout elsewhere, there's a good chance that the cancer would show up somewhere else in future years.  Chemo is like the herbicide you put on your lawn, hoping to kill the seeds that have fallen there BEFORE they start sprouting.  The hope is that if we poison me now, it will kill each of those seeds so they never sprout anywhere else.

Third, I think it's important to talk about what "terminal" means.  We think of someone having "terminal" cancer as being a goner . . . go home and get your affairs in order!  While that is often the case, again, there are so many different types of cancer, you can't think of it as "one size fits all."  "Terminal" means they can't kill or remove it, basically.  Sometimes people live for YEARS with terminal cancer.  Other times, only weeks.  It depends on where it is, how fast it's spreading, etc.  

So, let's talk percentages.  It's a scary topic, but we will go there anyway.  I don't know what my "chances" would be if we didn't do chemo & radiation.  Not as good, for sure.  But, speaking from a strictly medical standpoint, there is an 80% chance after chemo and radiation that none of those seeds will ever sprout.  Please understand . . . 80% isn't my chance of living through this . . . I have an 80% chance that NONE of those seeds will ever sprout during my lifetime.  

I would sure love for the percentage to be higher, but, really, 80% isn't half bad!  Add in faith and prayers . . . As the oncologist pointed out, "The Good Lord doesn't need chemo to cure cancer."  God has a plan for me; he always has!  So, we go through the treatments as outlined, keep applying faith and prayer liberally, and let His plan come forth however He wants it to.  As for myself, I am planning on a lot more good years!!!!  :-)  So, please don't fret too much.  You're in God's hands, too.  We all are!

Hope this helps to explain how it all works.  As always, if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask.  I"m not afraid to talk about it, and I don't want you to be, either.

Have a great day!  It's a warm, sunny one here!

No comments:

Post a Comment