Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thurs. May 22, 2014
Had my first chemo treatment today.  So much information given; it's going to be a learning curve trying to understand it all.  Even the medications I have to take to manage side effects are pretty overwhelming.  After I finish writing this, I'm going to make a consolidated list of everything and hope that helps me wrap my head around it a little more.

The treatments went well, but took longer than expected.  They gave me nausea drugs first (good thing, even with them I felt a bit nauseated; I'm sure I would have been throwing up without them.)  With one, I had to eat cold things like ice chips, etc. while I was receiving it to keep the blood vessels constricted in my mouth.  This is to hopefully prevent a side effect of that drug . . . mouth sores.  With another I had to have my hands on ice packs to hopefully prevent hand/foot numbness and tingling.  Weird.  I feel o.k. right now, just SUPER tired.  I will probably start really feeling the effects tomorrow.  I have to go back and get a shot to help boost my bone marrow, and that will cause me to be achy, but will help my immunity.

Everyone has been so sweet.  Yesterday I received (from my husband's 3 sisters and niece) a box of sunshine.  It is so bright and cheerful---I smile every time I look at it.  I would attach a picture but don't have the energy to figure out how.  Maybe I'll ask one of my kids to help me figure it out???  It is a box full of bright yellow things; Sanitizing wipes, paper plates, forks, cups, dish towels, different kinds of food, etc.  ALL YELLOW!!!  It is so cheery!  I love it!  Thanks to all of you!  :-)

Last night we were getting kids situated and getting them to bed and heard a loud knock at the door.  My son opened it and found an envelope taped to the front door.  It had a very nice card and $200 inside.  Someone also deposited $100 in our bank account.  I am so touched by their generosity, whoever they all are.

Also, one day my husband went to a customer's house to work.  He apologized for being behind, and mentioned that he had been going to medical appointments with me.  The man asked what was going on, so he told him.  The customer said, "Just a minute."  He went in the house, got his checkbook and wrote out a $100 check.

My neighbor, whose husband had testicular cancer at a young age, has been so thoughtful.  She brought me something she found when out shopping; it's a wooden candle holder thing, and it says "Prayer--The World's Best Wireless Connection."  She also brought us over a HUGE DQ ice cream cake.  She, almost apologetically, said "Maybe this is silly, but this looked so good.  I wanted you to have something yummy to eat while you still feel good enough."  Silly, no, not silly.  Sweet!!!  So sweet!  (And I did enjoy it!!!!)

There have been offers of babysitting, I have received many meals, flowers, etc.  So many people willing and happy to help.  It makes me think I need to step it up a little when this is all over.

People are so good!

So, on that subject, I have to tell you what my aunt did.  She's awesome.  She is a nurse, and was at work.  One of her patients that day told her he and his girlfriend had been together for 7 years, and had decided to get married.  That day was supposed to have been their wedding day, before the Justice of the Peace, and now he was in the hospital.  They wanted to get married anyway, so the Justice of the Peace was coming to the hospital to marry them in his room.  She said, "No, you can't do that.  Hang on, I'll be back."  She went and made arrangements for the wedding to take place in the chapel at the hospital.  Then she called the hospital photographer and arranged for pictures to be taken.  Then she called up to the kitchen and arranged to have some wedding cake for them to eat.  Then she went to the gift shop to get some flowers and a bouquet to throw.  She found matching "dresses" for the bridesmaids (which under the circumstances were hospital gowns) and for the "best man" (the groom's dog.)  They had 5 guests come; one was a single woman with a little girl.  When it was time to throw the bouquet, they collected all the single nursing staff to come in.  When she threw it, all the staff stepped back so it could be caught by the single mom in attendance at the wedding.  I just thought that was all so cool.

Now, for the craziness.  Tuesday, my sister, who was expecting a baby, found out that the baby had died.  I found out yesterday, and bawled all morning.  She delivered yesterday afternoon.  We went to see her and took her food and flowers today after my treatment today.

My father-in-law got sick yesterday with a bowel obstruction.  This has been an ongoing problem for him, and they don't know the reason--they haven't been able to find a cause.

And this afternoon while I was having my treatment, my mom got a call from the school.  My Kindergarten-aged son was throwing up, so my dad had to go get him (my mom was with me and my husband was working.)  Wow.  Chaos seems to be contagious.

But it could all be worse (hope it doesn't become worse!!!) so we will just keep on keepin' on!

Thanks, everyone, for your faith and prayers.  We will be fine; we have lots of great friends and family to help us through it, as well as blessings from God that show up in a variety of ways.  For that, I will always be grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the blog. We love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what Mom said earlier in a text when I asked her how you were doing when you were in the middle of your chemo treatment. She said "We are weathering the storms so far." Boy is she right. Every time I talk to her about the things that are going on in our family and the concerns we have, she says it is time for us to grow. And you reflect that in your posts too. I love the optimism. And I love all my family! Prayers. My pink hair streak is still good and bright for you.:) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete