Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday, May 25, 2014

I have revived . . . momentarily.  Well, the Dr. called it right.  He said I would be "tired."  And I am!  All I do is sleep and sleep some more.  Thankfully, I haven't had terrible nausea or anything like that.  But the word "tired" is a bit of an understatement!  I am so grateful that my older kids and friends and family have been willing and able to help.  I just have to keep picturing cancer cells that are feeling even worse than I am--and that makes me smile!

I realized that one of the problems with beginning to comment on the nice things that people have done for me is that there is no way on earth I can ever include all the nice things people have done . . . there have been so many.  I have so many offers of help that so far, I haven't had enough "need" for the help that has been offered, though that will change before this is through, I'm sure.

My mom has taken me to appointments, etc.  I know it has been a sacrifice for her.  She is so busy that she can't keep up with her own life as it is.  My aunt came over and got my kids off to school on the day I had surgery, and has offered to help in any other way she possibly can.  I have lost count of all the meals that have been brought in . . . some of the sweet Relief Society sisters have brought in more than one.  My visiting teacher and her daughter spent hours at my house after I had surgery.  They cleaned, visited with me, brought food, etc.  I have had more cards, letters, texts, and phone calls than I can count.

Last night, my son brought his IPod into my room to show me a picture.  My brother and his roommate shaved their heads in my honor--and in honor of all those others who are fighting cancer.  A few minutes later he brought it in again.  So did my brother-in-law.  My sister bought a whole bunch of temporary pink ribbon tattoos.  She texted me pictures of them all wearing them.

I have had several family members that live out of town--even out of state--that have offered to leave their families and homes to come up and help me.  I am humbled by everyone's willingness to give of themselves.  I really can't imagine myself being that giving.  Really.  Maybe one of the lessons the Lord wants me to learn is how to be less selfish with my time.

I find it difficult to describe how it feels to have all this kindness extended to me.  'Lil ol' me.  I always thought I was so insignificant.  I guess there is no such thing.

Thank you, everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your description. It is a little peek into how I feel about so many people. The example I will use here is my family. There are some times where saying thank you is so insignificant. Or seem so. I feel exactly that way about ALL my family: parents, sisters, and brothers. When we went through a few years that were particularly hard, I especially noticed it, and still notice it. I have sat down and pondered long and hard about just how to say thank you in a way that would even come close to showing how I felt about it. I haven't found a sufficient way yet.:)

    ReplyDelete