Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday, October 26th

We made it through the day yesterday!  Hooray!

A little while ago, a sweet lady I know called me.  They are having a 5th Sunday meeting about loving your neighbor and she wondered if I could tell (on camera) an experience I have had with Christlike service from someone else.  I don't know how to narrow it down to one!

As I have reviewed things I've written here in the past to jog my memory, I realized there are some neat things I haven't written, and I think I need to so that I don't forget them.

My visiting teacher is a busy, busy lady.  She works outside her home.  She has 6 children, in various stages of life, and even a couple of grandchildren (though I still think she looks too young for that!)  She has been awesome through this whole thing.  Service is the name of her game.  Right after I had surgery, she brought me meals, at least 2 or 3.  She came and spent a couple of hours cleaning my house.  She tended kids.  When I expressed concern about the amount of time she was taking away from her own responsibilities to attend to my family, she just smiled and said, "Well, let me tell you.  The purpose of my fast this Fast Sunday is to ask Heavenly Father to help me to find the time in my days to help you."  What faith--what commitment!  She has done so much for me.  When I was half-way done with chemo, she took me out for a milkshake.  When we had the "almost-done-with chemo" party, she came over to help me clean up the weekend rubble, went to the store for me to pick up balloons and dry ice, and made treats to bring to the party, loaned us chairs to use for the party, and came to the party.  She gave me her whole day--on a holiday.  She has been a fantastic example of Christlike love and service.  I will never forget the things she has done for me.

My sister, who lives in a city about an hour away from me, had mentioned something about me having breast cancer.  One day at church, a lady stopped her and asked my name.  She told her, and the lady said, "Oh, good.  I just needed to know her name so I can put it in the temple.  Last time I just put Sister Pamela's sister with breast cancer."

I may have mentioned this previously; I don't remember.  I have always wondered if I was really important, and thought maybe I wasn't.  I have always wondered if people really loved me.  I don't think I will wonder that again.  I have been shown Christlike love all through this experience, and it still continues.  People inquire about my welfare every time I go out in public.  I hope that I will be different after this.  I hope that I will be able to do to others as they have done to me.

2 comments:

  1. Mel, concerning what you said about wondering if people really love you: I used to wonder that all the time. I used to feelbveru unimportant actually, Luke I didn't matter, and like I didn't make a difference to anyone. I have learned that I am loved and that I do make a difference through some of my own experiences. That moment I learned for myself those things was truly beautiful. I learned through different ways than you, but I learned it. I am glad you feel so loved. You definitely are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about mistakes. I probably should have typed that on the computer instead of my phone.

    ReplyDelete