Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wed. Aug 13, 2014

Well, ready or not, here it comes!  Tomorrow is the big day for #5!

The last week and a half has been CRAZY!  After--the day after--we got back from my family's impromptu reunion, I took my kids school shopping.  I have 5 kids in school, and we live in a rural enough area that school shopping is a huge undertaking!  But I knew that by the time I recovered from the next chemo, it would be too late, so I had a week and a half to get it all done.  Well, that week and a half turned out to be 6 days.  Just as soon as we got back from our trip, our car started running poorly.  It seemed like a transmission--it was shifting badly.  (At first I griped and complained, and then I realized I should be saying prayers of thanks that it didn't start having problems until we got home!)  Long story shorter, I knew we had to get it into the shop as soon as they could work it in, before the problem got worse--and more expensive!  So, I made 3 trips into our nearest "shopping" town, getting all the kid's clothes and supplies in 6 days!!!  On the last trip, we took my mom's car because I didn't want to put more miles on mine until we got it fixed.  Let me mention here that online shopping wasn't a great option . . . this silly computer is also needing some work, so until it gets it, I don't dare shop online.  My mom came with me twice (sacrificing her only days off) and the other time when she couldn't come, my sister (who is way more fashion-savvy than I am) came along.   It was exhausting--their help was priceless.

I have to mention here that just as I was leaving on day 1, my father-in-law called and when I told him where I was headed, he volunteered to take them; I thought that was sweet, but told him he didn't know what he had just volunteered for!  (I hope that didn't offend him.)  He cares for my aging mother-in-law around the clock.  I just didn't quite see how he was going to school shop and take her along, too.  I want him to speak to me again, so I don't dare send him off to find clothes that look good and fit well while 4 little children are bored and running around the store, and trying to multi-task finding clothes for that many different kids all at the same time . . .  For the record, I have gotten smart and begun taking coloring books, crayons, and electronic devices along.  Experience . . .  I thought it was so sweet that he was so kind as to offer, though.  I thought it was sweet that he was thinking of me.

This week, we took the car into the shop.  It was a transmission, but it was a relatively inexpensive fix (so far.)  Some bad solenoids.  Don't ask me what they do--I don't have a clue.  But they finished it today so we went and picked it up this evening.  Check!  One more problem taken care of . . . for now.

Whew!  It has been a bit stressful, but not as bad as it could have been.  However, I"m not as prepared physically as I have been for each cycle thus far--I haven't had time!!  But, I think I'm prepared enough.  It will be o.k.

As far as attempting to mentally prepare myself, yesterday, I went to pick huckleberries with my brother and Dad.  It was the very best thing I could have done!  My little kids didn't want to go, and neither did my "babysitter" daughter, so I left her home with them.  It was great!  Sitting out in the brush, talking with my brother, getting huckleberry stains on my butt and knees, swatting bugs and looking out for spiders, (I hate 'em) and enjoying nature.  It was the perfect way to prepare!!  Physically, it was a challenge to get up the trail far enough to find anything to pick . . . my heart was thundering so fast, I thought it would jump right out of my chest, but I just shuffled along, nice and slow, and eventually made it (while I cussed the Forest Service in my head for blocking off yet another road to motorized vehicles.  Bless their hearts; may they all have the opportunity to have chemo or be on crutches.  Just kidding---I think.)  Overall, though, it was a perfect way to spend the afternoon!  I wish I had one more day to go pick berries, but I'm grateful for the time I did have.  It was great!

I think I'm ready to go back for another cycle!  :-)  I'll check in when I revive again!

No comments:

Post a Comment